Sunday, March 1, 2015

Winter in Tasmania






The climate of an area can greatly affect one’s experience and overall impression of the area. For example, I was just in Chicago a couple weeks ago and the 2-degree weather was a bit of a shock for a girl from sunny California. Thus, I thought it would be a good idea to get a glimpse of what winter is like in Tasmania and how it might shape our trip. Lots of the national parks, including Cradle Mountain, include opportunities for avid winter sport enthusiasts such as skiers. Although the lakes might be a bit icy, the view is absolutely stunning in the crisp winter air. Here are some links that give ideas of things to do in Tasmania:


            Temperatures on the island will vary based on geographic location. The coast has a climate a tad cooler than that of California, with highs ranging from 3 degrees C (37 degrees F) to 12 degrees C (54 degrees F). Inland/elevated areas can be as cold as -10 degrees C (14 degrees F) and will only reach highs of about 0 degrees C (32 degrees F). Tasmania also tends to have a wetter climate than the rest of Australia, with most of its rainfall between July and August. Since we will be going in late August/early September, we may be catching some of the precipitation and should be prepared to get wet.

Jessica Tam
 
Works Cited:

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, I love the snow in theory, but I'm a sissy Californian. So I hope we don't get caught in this sort of weather!

    -Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree! It's weird to think about this area of the world as not sunny and just like paradise. That said, the cold makes it more of an adventure!! So excited! Such a relevant post Jessica!

    Brittany Hallawell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how much snow we'll be experiencing on our trip...hopefully not too much because I'm from SoCal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, for one, am looking forward to the snow to get a change of pace from Cali weather. I wonder what snow critters we'll see?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, before this trip I never pictured snow in Australia. I have no idea why. So this will definitely be an adventure!

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete