Monday, January 19, 2015

Tassie's Wild Surf Breaks

Australia is generally recognised as a haven for surfers for world-wide, but Tasmania doesn't always get the acknowledgment it deserves. Tassie has some world-class cold water breaks, and are particularly uncrowded. It often takes a trek through some world heritage areas to get to these coasts, but there are some beautiful breaks with huge waves waiting to be discovered around the island. Summer is when the water is warmest and the waves are mildest, but winter is when they get really big and fun, so a wetsuit is quite the necessity if you're looking for adventure.

Shipstern Bluff, also known as Devil's Point, is one of the biggest and baddest breaks in the world. Located in Tasman National Park, on the southeastern tip of the island, it is Australia's heaviest wave and world renowned for being dangerous - not just because of the size of the waves, but also the prevalence of great white sharks. On top of that, is the very sharp reef below the surface and the 4 hour distance to the nearest hospital - definitely not a place for the faint-hearted.
For some crazy video of people surfing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47rsFNAqIfo

-Isa

4 comments:

  1. 1. That's so awesome! I wonder why the waves here are so huge! Is there some reason for this? It's geography, location? I want to try surfing at some point, but it is probably not a great place to start. Considering the dangers, I wonder how many people get injured per year. Is it common for people to surf there for the thrill?

    -Carlos Aguilar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why they wouldn't just build a hospital nearby if it's so popular! Is it extremely remote or is there another reason for that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that Australia was a haven for surfers - coming from the Huntington Beach area, I feel like I should have known that. Maybe, if we get a day time (Which I doubt) we can sneak away and try these waves out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love surfing! Not surprised that they have great waves, and I bet the lineup isn't too crowded. i'd be a bit concerned about the great whites, but not enough to not want to paddle out and shred. Hope we get the opportunity, I'll totally bring my wetsuit -Alicia

    ReplyDelete